Adding an extra layer of security to protect your sensitive information
BuckeyePass is a multifactor authentication service provided to Ohio State faculty, staff, students and student employees. It helps protect your account even if your password is stolen. Get started or manage your registered devices today!
Prevent others from accessing your account.
Quickly and easily log in with the tap of a button.
Use from any location with the mobile application.
Phishing and identity theft crimes have increased in the higher education sector over the last few years and protecting your personal information and the university’s private data is Ohio State’s highest priority. The video above depicts an employee using Duo to access Employee Self Service; however, BuckeyePass registration and functionality is the same for all of the Ohio State systems that it protects.
BuckeyePass is currently for Ohio State faculty, staff, students and student employees.
Where and When?
The university community is currently using BuckeyePass/Duo to access:
- CarmenCanvas and Vita (October 11, 2018)
- eTimesheet and eLeave (September 30, 2018)
- LabArchives (March 30, 2018)
- BuckeyeBox (December 19, 2017)
- Buckeye Link (November 5, 2017)
- Employee Self-Service within HR (September 12, 2016)
- OCIO RSA customers migrated onto Duo (July 1, 2016)
- OSUNET Secure profile and EDM profile (May 15, 2016)
- PeopleSoft Finance and eMaterials (May 15, 2016)
- Splunk (April 18, 2016)
Register for the BuckeyePass service. We recommend registering more than one device so you have a back-up if your device is lost, stolen, broken or otherwise unavailable. BuckeyePass can be used in a number of ways:
Duo Mobile on a smartphone or tablet – Installing Duo Mobile on your device will give you two ways to authenticate. When you try to log in to a system protected by BuckeyePass, it will push an authentication request to the Duo Mobile application on your device. Once you approve the request, you will be admitted to the system. You can also generate a code from Duo Mobile and input it to the BuckeyePass login page.
Passcodes via text – You will receive 10 passcodes via a single text message. One passcode will be used each time you log in to the system. You will need to request a subsequent text after all 10 passcodes are used.
Callback via phone – Duo will generate an automated phone call to approve your access to the system.
Hard token – Hard tokens are available to students and employees who do not have a cell phone or land line to use for authentication. Tokens can only be picked up on campus at a BuckeyeBar location and require that you provide a valid photo ID (This includes your BuckID).
Tokens will only be provided to users who are not able to access the system any other way or who have a valid business justification for requiring one. The process can take 8 to 14 days to complete, so please contact the IT Service Desk immediately if you require a token.
Employees who need more information can take three short training sessions that are available on BuckeyeLearn.
- BuckeyePass Overview(link is external) – Provides a general overview of multi-factor authentication and Duo/BuckeyePass.
- Enrolling Devices in Duo/BuckeyePass(link is external) – Provides a demonstration of enrolling devices in Duo.
- OCIO VPN and BuckeyePass(link is external) – Demonstrates how to access the OCIO VPN using BuckeyePass.
Want to add BuckeyePass to your system?
If you are a service owner who would like to add multifactor authentication to your own system, we can help you learn more about the deployment process.